Short Term Medical
Short Term Medical plans
Short Term Medical plans are a great option for these situations:
- You need to bridge a coverage gap outside of Open Enrollment
- You are in good health and want to keep costs down while still having excellent major medical coverage
- You want more freedom to choose your own medical providers…nationwide coverage!
- You are between jobs
- You need coverage to start within 24 hours
- You want catastrophic protection
- You are exempt from paying the individual shared responsibility payment (Affordable Care Act penalty) *Short Term Medical plans are not ACA Qualified Health Plans.
- You are less than 1 year away from becoming eligible for Medicare
- Any transitional period with uncertainty (i.e. moving)
Short Term Medical plans might NOT be a good fit for you if:
- You want to use a Premium Tax Credit (subsidy) to pay for premiums
- You have pre-existing health conditions (STM carriers can ask health questions)
- You are concerned about having to pay the individual shared responsibility payment (Affordable Care Act penalty) *Short Term Medical plans are not ACA Qualified Health Plans.
- You are eligible for Medicare